• How do I apply for a property?

    We’ll give you a tenant application form to complete. Please note that the application for the property cannot be processed unless the application form has been completed in full. It is essential that all information given on the form is accurate. Please be aware that any knowingly false claims written on the form will result in the application being rejected, with part of the first month's rent paid if the landlord suffers any financial loss due to taking the property off the market and this resulting in the property being unoccupied.

  • What happens to the personal information I supply to you?

    Any personal information you supply to Japan Letting Agency will be treated confidentially and held in compliance with the UK General Data Protection Regulations (UK GDPR). On signing the Application Form you authorise us to share this information with the landlord in order that we can gain approval for the tenancy you are seeking. 

  • What is an Assured Shorthold Tenancy (AST) agreement?

    An assured shorthold tenancy is the most common type of tenancy if you rent from a private landlord or letting agent in the UK. The main feature that makes an AST different from other types of tenancies is that your landlord cannot evict you without a reason as it is a requirement that they must follow the correct procedure. 

  • What deposit do I have to pay?

    An initial payment of one month's rent is required as soon as you have selected a property. The remainder of the first month's rent, plus five weeks' deposit, is payable when you move in.

  • When will I get my deposit back?

    If you paid a deposit at the start of your tenancy, you have the right to get it back at the end. Your landlord or letting agent can only take money off if there’s a good reason - for example if you’ve damaged the property.

  • Is my deposit refundable if things don't work out?

    If you change your mind regarding renting a property, then the initial part of the first month's rent may be forfeited, especially if the landlord has suffered costs due to stopping marketing of the property. However, if the landlord does not accept your offer, then your initial payment will be refunded in full.

  • What is an inventory check?

    Inventories are reports that accurately describe the condition of a rental property and its contents (if any), so they can be used to assess claims for damages at the end of the tenancy. Tenancy inventory checks are essential for resolving deposit disputes at the end of the tenancy. We advise taking photos of any damage that you notice before you move into the property.

  • When can my landlord enter the property?

    A landlord has to give the tenant notice before entering the property, unless it’s an emergency.

  • What if I can't pay my rent?

    It is always your responsibility to pay the rent, but we do understand that circumstances change. The most important thing is to let us know as soon as possible and not let arrears become unmanageable. Plus, you can get insured against sickness and unemployment to keep yourself protected.

  • What if I accidentally cause damage to the property?

    We understand that accidents happen. Tell whoever is responsible for the property maintenance (either the landlord or letting agent) as soon as possible. You will be expected to cover the cost of putting it right. Don’t try to ignore or hide damage because it could get worse, and it will only come out of your deposit at the end of the tenancy.

  • What is an inspection?

    As your letting agent we will regularly schedule visits to the property. We simply want to make sure that the property is being looked after and maintained in a good condition, and we will be looking for any maintenance issues.

  • What if I want to renew my tenancy?

    If you have an Assured Tenancy (AST) Agreement and you wish to stay in the property after the fixed term, a renewal is not essential to remain in the property. The tenancy becomes a ‘periodic tenancy’ and you can simply continue with the same terms and conditions as before. 

  • Notice to vacate your property

    A notice to vacate is when a landlord asks you to leave their property, or informs you that your tenancy will not be continuing. Your landlord must follow certain procedures, or they run the risk of illegally evicting you.

  • I want to let my property. Do I need to tell my mortgage lender?

    Yes. Your mortgage lender needs to give you permission before you can let your property, and they may impose special conditions. If you are buying a property with the intention of letting it out, you may be able to obtain a buy to let mortgage.

  • Does a landlord need to pay tax on rental income?

    All landlords could be liable to pay tax on their rental income, whether they live in the UK or are based overseas. Further information can be found on the HM Revenue and Customs’ website.

  • Why should I use a managing agent?

    Choosing a fully managed service like Japan Letting Agency allows you to completely relax. You never have to worry about the let. It creates a professional distance between you and the tenancy, and means you can avoid having to deal with all the bad bits like rent arrears and deposit disputes.